Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hot Topics

Bridging the Divide: Libraries Transform Communities

I wasn’t too sure what this pre-conference event was going to be about but I liked the notion of libraries being harbingers of change for the communities they served so I signed up. I was very glad I did! The discussion was about libraries being perhaps the last good place of impartial deliberation; of being a setting where all people can come together in small groups to discuss local and national events, current hot topics and public issues in a fair, balanced and impartial atmosphere. I believe every librarian works hard to create fair and balanced collection and is fully able to produce material for a patron that would give the pros and cons of any topic. Wouldn’t it also be great of we could provide that patron with a place to talk about those issues within a controlled and moderated atmosphere?

The conference leaders talked about using organizations like the National Issues Forum or the National Coalition for Dialog and Deliberation to “build the capacity for communities to work together to solve public problems”. Using these well established methods of discussion libraries could be an active player in informing and educating the public on local events and offering them a place to express their own opinions. Of course much of what they talked about was how to use the local libraries for LOCAL problems governmental and such, but I could certainly see the potential for more reaching opportunities for debate.

Being a pretty big talker myself (no laughing!) I’ve always liked the idea of getting a group together to discuss the big meaty stuff. Immigration? The deficit? National politics? How about…religion? But the problem is always keeping things on track and not allowing the discussion to get too heated or personal. How do you keep it all under control? Well…that’s just what these groups help you with.

Defiantly a great idea and one I will be investigating! I can see it now… Topics Too Hot to Handle: At Your Local Library!

No comments: